[gui-talk] anti-virus software interferes with screenreader?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Apr 15 13:53:36 UTC 2010

If you have had this same problem on three computers, then I think there is likely some common combination of software you are running that is causing the problem.
You said you are using Window-Eyes 7.11 and 7.21.  Since 7.2 is not out yet, maybe you are already using the public beta I mentioned.  When I mentioned that the
public beta was stable, I meant that one shouldn't be afraid to try it because it is a beta.  some betas that one tries are not stable.  Window-eyes has generally been
stable for me, though, but that doesn't mean that some combination of software and hardware are not acting up in your case.  Has this problem always happened as
long as you have had Window-Eyes or did it start at some point?  If you installed NOD32 recently, are you certain that you got all elements of your previous virus
checker off your machine?  Particularly Mcaffee and Symantec can be difficult to uninstall.  Have you done a scan for malicious software to make sure you don't
have something unknown to you running on your computer?  Are you running other software even as a demo such as JFW.  JFW and Window-Eyes should coexist,
but if you have an old version of JFW even as a demonstration copy you could have issues with display drivers, but it would have to be a pretty old version.  Have
you tried a different synthesizer?  Have you turned all scripts within Window-Eyes off in case there is a script problem?  Do you have all of the latest updates to
Windows installed?  Are you able to close Window-Eyes down and restart it, and if you can, does speech come back?  Have you been able to determine if Window-
Eyes has stopped talking if everything else seems to be running all right, which might require someone who can see the screen?  I'm not really asking that you
answer all these questions because it may still not help us
know what to suggest, but they are things to try and questions to investigate.  If you can find something that seems to help, GW Micro's support will have more to go
on.

It is just very hard for anyone to know for sure what might be causing your problem because we don't know what else you have on your computer, what you may
have run, and so on.  No screen reader is completely stable, but your experience is unusual so there is likely a reason for it with some chance that it can be
corrected, especially if you have had it on three computers.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson