[gui-talk] my thumb drive just died

Ted Shelly tshelly at optonline.net
Fri Apr 16 11:38:02 UTC 2010

The sad news is that it sounds like your drive is  indeed dead and there is
probably no way for you to recover the data.  I've had a couple of such
drives die on me, but nothing quite so spectacularly as yours.  This is why
it is so important to have backups of your critical data.

I'll put in a plug here for my favorite backup strategy - a program called
Jungle Disk which can be used to backup important files on the Internet.
See www.jungledisk.com .  The program is only $10 and storage costs for me
have been less than $1 per month.  And it is very secure, using Amazon's
cloud computing platform for the online storage.

Ted Shelly