[gui-talk] ScreenReader Theory Question

Dave Marthouse dmarthouse at gmail.com
Wed May 8 00:13:07 UTC 2013

I've noticed over the years that there are apps that work in some
screenreaders out of the box and don't work in others.  Naturally there are
some other apps that aren't accessible at all no matter what screenreader
you use.

My question is based on the premise that all screenreaders tap into hooks in
the operating system.  If that's so why is there the disparity between
screenreaders that I've outlined above?  One would think that all the
screenreaders tap into the same underlying hooks in the os.  Or am I too
simplistic about this?

Any information would be appreciated to help scratch this itch.

Dave Marthouse
dmarthouse at gmail.com