[gui-talk] ScreenReader Theory Question

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed May 8 09:06:31 UTC 2013

Most screen readers build an on screen model data base and then provide
information from that data base.  The nvda project has a different
approach though.  Depending on the screen reader in use, it may or may
not have scripting support capability and may or may not have support
scripts pre-installed or available for later installation from the
internet.  Also, screen readers may or may not have heavy dependencies
on video drivers.  When video drivers develop a conflict because a
screen reader grabs a video intercept that the software package was
expecting to use, you got a problem situation.  Some screen readers have
add-ons and plug-ins that can be downloaded and used and this may go
well beyond basic script support whether or not those scripts get
compiled.  That may help to explain some of the variability you have
noticed.