[gui-talk] Help Needed with Strange JAWS and Word Problem

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Dec 3 03:30:55 UTC 2016

Okay JAWS users, I am having a strange problem that I don't understand.  I
have a document arranged such that there are three sets of data on a page,
each in a large table cell.  This design has to do with how mail merges
work.  Anyway, when I use JAWS, the third set of data goes to a second page.
If I leave Word running and switch to either NVDA or Window-Eyes, all three
sets of data fit on one page.  Also, the position from the top of the page
that is given by JAWS is somewhat higher than the position in inches from
the top given by Window-Eyes.  I tend to trust the Window-Eyes position
because when I change the top margin, the Window-Eyes position reflected the
change while the JAWS position seemed not to.  Therefore, JAWS seems to be
changing a Word setting that also affects page formatting.  Does anyone know
what is happening?

While I am sure I could change something to get this particular document to
work, this document is generated from a mail merge and I am working with
some other documents including mailing labels that have exhibited something
similar.  Therefore, I need to get to the bottom of why the screen reader
being used should affect this.  This is using the Print View and Word 2016
and JAWS 18 but I observed some of this with JAWS 17 and Word 2013 as well.
Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson