[gui-talk] Brailling across network with WIN BT

Brian Blair brianblair at polarblairs.org
Sat Sep 24 02:57:10 UTC 2016

I'm trying to figure out a way to send documents to my Juliet Pro 60
Brailler across a network from a Windows 7 64 bit machine to a Windows 8
64 computer to which the Juliet is attached.

In the past I have been able to use the command line's Net Use command
in Win XP and Windows 8 to send output of LPT1 or LPT2 to my shared
Braille printer
on another computer on the network.

So in my current setup this printer is connected to a Windows 8 64 bit
machine.  I can print to it from that machine and I can also print to it
from a
Windows XP machine connected to this network using Net Use to connect
LPT1 to the network path for this printer.

However, we have a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit machine and I can not
get this to work from this machine.

In a past setup I had this printer connected to a Windows XP machine and
successfuly printed to it from a Windows 8 machine using Net Use to
LPTX.  So is there something different about Windows 7 that won't allow
this?  I am an administrator on this Win 7 machine.  The Net Use command
completes
with no errors, but anything sent to LPTX fails to print and no error
message is returned.

I'm using the Win BT, the Windows front end for the NFB Braille Translator.

I was able to print something to the Juliet from this Win 7 machine by
installing the Brailler from the shared network location and then
printing to the Juliet through Windows Notepad.  So if there was a way
to tell Win BT to use this installed printer maybe this would work.  I
tried inserting the name of the installed printer in the place for the
port in the Win BT setup but this also didn't work.

Any ideas how I might get this to work? I'm not wanting to spend
hundreds of dollars on Duxbury right now because all I'm doing is
sending text files to the NFB translator and it is able to do everything
I need, but now I just need to get the output to the Juliet across the
network from this Win 7 machine.

Brian