[GUI-Talk] laptops and keyboards

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at handid.org
Wed Feb 28 22:51:16 UTC 2018

In general, the keyboard on a regular notebook will have the same
dimensions as any regular external keyboard.  This will be the case unless
you buy a notebook that is specifically advertised as smaller than the
norm.  Smaller-than-normal computers seem usually to be advertised as
netbooks, though not all netbooks are smaller.

But what *will* differ is the throw (the amount you have to push down to
get a keystroke to be recognized by the computer)  and the `clicky-ness` of
the keys.  Most affordable notebooks and netbooks seem to have very shallow
throw on keys and usually very quiet keyboards.  Notebooks explicitly
advertised for gamers will have more throw on the keys and generally will
have more clicky and durable keyboards because game-playing can sometimes
involve very heavy and impactful use of the keyboard!

Another important difference between keyboards on a notebook computer is
that only some notebooks come with a separate numeric keypad.  Since screen
readers require use of number keys for shortcuts and commands, this might
be a very important consideration.

I'm sure others on this list can offer more specific guidance.

HTH,

_don