[GUI-Talk] Recognition of External Drive

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jul 17 15:11:50 UTC 2018

Debbie,

The sound you are hearing could well simply be the sound that a USB device
has been detected.  There are some additional drivers that need to be loaded
before a USB drive is recognized.  The first think to do is to give the
drive a few minutes before you look for it.  This won't be the case all the
time but could be the case for the first time since you had Windows
re-installed.  It could even be that a driver search is initiated.

Second, if the drive does not connect, make sure that all Windows 7 updates
have run.  When you had Windows 7 re-installed, it is hard to know which
version you received and it is possible that a lot of updates need to happen
to make it current.  Updates can include driver updates.

Third, make certain your USB ports are working right.  Do you have any other
devices connected such as a printer or scanner that you can verify is
working right?  Windows updates can also include updates to USB drivers in
general.

Fourth, if possible, make sure the USB drives can be read by another
computer.  While not likely, it is always possible something is wrong with
the drives themselves.

If nothing else, I've given you ways to kill some time.  <smile>  Seriously,
I hope something here helps.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson