[GUI-Talk] Problems filling out forms using NVDA screen reader

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue Jun 2 16:20:55 UTC 2020

Hello Beth,

I, too, have had this problem when working with interactive elements on line, using the NBDA screen-reader and a braille display.
Check boxes, radio buttons and “next” buttons in surveys have all been problematic.

For example, with the focus on a radio button or check box, I hit the space-bar to check it and it appears that nothing has happened. The screen-reader still says “unchecked”, and the braille display shows an unchecked button or check box.
I did a bit of experimenting and this is what I now do. It appears to work.
I put the focus on the radio button or check box, then I hit the space-bar to check or uncheck it.
Then I hit the right arrow to move the focus off the element. Then, I left arrow back onto the element and NVDA registers the change I’ve made.
With buttons, like “next” buttons, that need to be clicked on to advance a page etc., it often works if I do the same thing.
So I will put the focus on the button, press “enter”, right arrow and then left arrow to get the focus back on the button. Then, when I press “enter” on the button it works as it is supposed to.
I’m no computer expert so I can’t offer any explanation why this often works for me.
I hope it might work for you as well.
I’d love to hear if others have had this issue with NVDA and if this work around works for you.

Warmly,
Heather Field