[GUI-Talk] Question about Learning Linux Operating Systems

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat Jun 27 19:44:50 UTC 2020

There is an active listserv for the Orca screen reader. The main developer,
Joanmarie Diggs, is often around fixing things that people find. She is also
an editor of some of the W3C standards, I think concerning Accessible Rich
Internet Applications.
There is also a listserv which I think is called blinux-list at redhat.com .
This leans more toward command-line access and shell programs. There are
several different screen readers for the Linux command line; some work from
the G U I and others work without starting the G U I.
There is another listserv for the Emacspeak "auditory desktop" a suite of
programs started and partially maintained by T.V. Raman, who now works for
Google. I think that list is still housed at Vassar.edu. Some of the
Emacspeak users are running it on Apple Macs.
The NFB in Computer Science has quite a few members who use Linux for
various purposes. You could ask questions on that NFBNet listserv.
There are also Linux users on the Blind Programming listserv,
program-l at freelists.org .
Don't ask me any questions, because I'm not really using any of these
aspects of Linux. But I have been reading these lists for a long time.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD