[GUI-Talk] Audio Sharing With Zoom: A "Work-Around" Fixes the Problem

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 15:43:05 UTC 2021

Greetings and salutations:

In an August 12 email (copy shown below) sent to the Zoom accessibility
team, I reported a bug with Zoom having to do with audio sharing. I reported
that if you routed your screen reader (in my case, JAWS for Windows) to a
sound device that was different from the one being used by Zoom, everyone in
the Zoom meeting could hear your screen reader talking when audio sharing
was activated. Needless to say, I found this bug to be quite vexing when,
for example, it came time to play the Presidential Release at a virtual
National Federation of the Blind chapter meeting. I reported this problem to
the fine folks at Zoom, and they spent a couple of hours working with me to
verify that yes, I did have a problem.

I have now been given clearance to distribute a link to a 64-bit (and yes,
current) version of Zoom which the folks at Zoom call a "work-around." This
64-bit version of Zoom (at least on my system) does fix the problem where
your screen reader is heard by everyone even though you have directed it to
a different sound card.

Here is the link.

https://zoom.us/client/5.8.0.1324/ZoomInstaller.exe?archType=x64

As I say, this version fixes the problem for me. Hopefully, it will also fix
the audio sharing problem for others.

With best wishes,

Curtis Chong