[HIABS] Parental Rights Resolutions Passed, Unamended, by HMS

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Tue Mar 20 07:43:34 UTC 2018

Aloha, my Federation Ohana,

Today, the Senate Committee on Human Services passed, unamended, both resolutions entitled "REQUESTING THE HAWAII STATE JUDICIARY AND DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES TO NOT USE BLINDNESS AS A BASIS FOR DENYING PARENTAL RIGHTS."

It looks like the next step will be going back to Senator Brian Taniguchi, the Chair of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, to ask for a hearing again. If enough of our members contact him to request that he schedule a hearing, he just might do it. I will be back in touch as soon as the resolution is waiting on his desk.

For now, let's ride this momentum into tomorrow. We have two crucial hearings on subminimum wage legislation. Tomorrow, we have the second-to-last hearings for both subminimum wage bills. We are so close!

If you can make it, we have the following hearings:

10 AM in Conference Room 309
House Committee on Labor & Public Employment
SB 3023, SD 2
We are asking the committee to pass this bill without amendments.

2:45 PM in Conference Room 229
Senate Committee on Labor
HB 1627, HD 1
We are asking the committee to pass it with amendments, creating a Senate Draft 1, which will include people with all types of disabilities in the minimum wage requirements instead of just narrowing subminimum wages to the intellectually disabled.
On February 6, this committee passed SB 3023 and created a Senate Draft 1, which is exactly what we want this Senate Draft 1 to be.

Even if you don't speak, your presence will help so much.

Mahalo for making today such a success, and see you tomorrow!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez