[HIABS] Parental Rights Resolutions Passed, Unamended, by HMS

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Tue Mar 20 08:39:20 UTC 2018

Aloha,

You may recall a resolution we passed at the 2016 state convention, which called for the removal of the signs near Ho`opono Services for the Blind reading "Watch for the Blind." Now, there is a resolution in the City Council to carry out this work.

These signs single out blind people as incompetent for understanding traffic patterns and making smart street crossing decisions. They are a relic of a time when people did not expect very much out of blind people and when Ho`opono used to be a subminimum-wage sheltered workshop. When those signs were installed, blind people did not have access to the quality of blindness training that we have today. It's time to remove these signs to bring our built environment into alignment with our modern understanding of blindness.

Here is information from the hearing notice which you can use to submit testimony:

REGULAR MEETING
COMMITTEE MEETING ROOM
THURSDAY, MARCH 22, 2018
1:00 P.M.

RESOLUTION 18-64 - TRAFFIC SIGNS ON BACHELOT STREET AND JUDD
STREET. Urging the City Administration to remove the "WATCH FOR THE BLIND"
traffic signs on Bachelot Street and Judd Street.

SPEAKER REGISTRATION
Persons wishing to testify are requested to register by 1:00 p.m. as follows:
a. On-Line at http://www.honolulu.gov/ccl-testimony-form.html;
b. By faxing to 768-3827 your name, phone number and the agenda item;
c. By filling out a registration form in person; or
d. By calling 768-3819.
Persons who have not registered to testify will be given an opportunity to speak on an item following oral testimonies of the registered speakers.
Each speaker is limited to a one-minute presentation.

WRITTEN TESTIMONY
Written testimony may be faxed to 768-3827 or transmitted via the internet at
http://www.honolulu.gov/ccl-testimony-form.html for distribution at the meeting.
If submitted, written testimonies, including the testifier's address, e-mail address and phone number, may be posted by the City Clerk and available to the public on the City's
DocuShare Website.

Please let me know if you need anything. Your support will make a difference!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez