[HIABS] The National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii Invites you to join our 1st Annual Statewide Virtual White Cane Walk-a-thon October 24, 2020!

Katie Keim 808keim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:51:21 UTC 2020

Aloha Everyone!

Family, Friends, Colleagues, All are Welcome! Please spread the word, the
more the merrier!

Mahalo and Aloha, Virgil Stinnett, NFBH President

Join us in our 1st Annual Statewide Virtual White Cane Safety Awareness
Walk-a-thon Fundraiser Saturday October 24, 2020!

For more information contact:

Melissa Gerber

E: 247mjgerber at gmail.com P: 808 227 4271.

Let's Get Virtually Insane With Our White Canes!!!

Come one, come all walkers and sponsors!

"Walking Alone and Marching Together"

Aloha and greetings from the National Federation of the Blind of Hawai'i,
NFBH,

We as your local Federation Family invite everyone and anyone in our annual
celebration of October   "Meet the Blind Month", and along with this
celebration we highlight our annual White Cane Walk.

White Cane Awareness day established nationally in 1964 continues each year
where people, blind or sighted, come together to spread "White Cane"
awareness and safety across the nation to the public. For many years our
NFBH family celebrates with other fellow blind peers and supporters to walk
publicly with local officials on each island. But how do we do that when
there is a pandemic amongst us? Well since COVID 19 still exists, your local
National Federation of the Blind of Hawai'i leaders of the Leeward O'ahu
Chapter are introducing our first annual virtual statewide "White Cane
Walk-A-Thon!" We are inviting everyone and anyone and all of Hawaii Keiki to
Kupuna to join in the fun. We are looking for participants who would like to
donate their time as a White Cane Walker or supporter. This walk will take
place in our own neighborhoods, keeping social distance and wearing our
masks, while being broadcasted via zoom, and featured streaming on Facebook
Live.  Supporters can watch participants   walk in real time!

Our Mission

To engage the community in raising funds for our National Federation of the
Blind of Hawai'i. We, NFBH,  have many local and national programs that
support blind individuals, including but not limited to our free white cane
service, Newsline telephonic service providing newspapers and publications
to individuals who are blind and print disabled, scholarships for blind
individuals seeking higher education, and programs that support braille
literacy for youth to name a few.

** (For more information about the National Federation of the Blind please
visit: hawaii.nfb.org

How does the Walk a Thon work?

1.  We are looking for the following:

* Sponsors

* Walkers

*supporters

Donations

Each participating walker will walk for a minimum of one hour and a maximum
of three hours. The walker will seek sponsors to fund them for their walk.
The starting minimum sponsorship donation is $5. The forms of donations can
be cash, check, and our preferred method of Pay Pal or Square.

Donate via Paypal:
<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=S77D6A
UCZS6QN&source=url>
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=S77D6AU
CZS6QN&source=url

Donate via Square :
<https://checkout.square.site/pay/2449d6cf845b4fd4969327fa6a1b7203>
https://checkout.square.site/pay/2449d6cf845b4fd4969327fa6a1b7203

Make money orders and checks out to: The National Federation of the Blind of
Hawaii, NFBH

Mail to:

The National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii, NFBH

P.O. Box 4605, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96812

Event Details

When: Saturday, 10/24/2020

Time: Walkers may start between the hours of 8-10am. Walkers can extend
their time as needed.

Registration

To register as a walker contact Melissa Gerber, via phone or email, with the
following information:

Name, Contact information, the chapter or division you are raising funds
for, time slot you will be starting your walk (8am, 9am, or 10am), and
whether you want to participate as a virtual featured walker.

Registration contact LOC/ Leeward O'ahu Chapter President: Melissa Gerber.

Email: 247mjgerber at gmail.com Ph.: 808 227 4271.

We look forward to you joining us on our statewide virtual mission to help
support the National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii and our important
blind programs for the blind of Hawaii.

Let's get out there have fun and Go!