[Home-on-the-range] disappointing news

Cindy Ray cindyray at qwest.net
Wed Jul 21 12:19:38 UTC 2010

Hi, Members,

Well, Rob, I think the person best able to answer your questions about Jack is Susie, so hold that thought for when she returns from her cruise. She is going to be sad that she was unable to be here for the service.

I think the Kansas Affiliate was started in the early 70's, maybe 1970 or '71. When the affiliate was in the beginning stages, Dick Edlund and others came up to Des Moines for a meeting to learn more about the National Federation of the Blind. Jack may have been one of those. I do believe he was an original member. He has been active in the Kansas City Kansas Chapter (Raymond Peed could tell you a lot about it), and I don't know if he ever served on the board. He and Martha have done a lot to assist in the continuance of chapters both by their participation and by Martha's willingness to serve both as a driver and as treasurer, and Jack was always there. He may have contributed way more than I know, but whether he did or did not, he was a long term, stalwart member who didn't miss meetings, state, or national conventions. I think the last time I was at a Kansas Convention, I went to Wichita in a van that was driven by Martha, and Jack was there. He was beginning to have some health problems, but he was still there doing his very best to participate in the organization. So I'm sorry I cannot say more, and I do hope you will ask Susie to talk more about Jack upon her return.
Cindy Lou