[Home-on-the-range] Fund Created to Help Chikako and Comet

Susan Tabor souljourner at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 10 01:05:52 UTC 2011

Greetings, all:

A fund is in place through the K.U. history department to help Chikako with
treatment expenses for Comet. Anyone can donate. Please consider this
individually and/or on behalf of your chapter; see material pasted below.
Thanks!

Susan tabor

----------------------------

Dear History Department Faculty, Students and Staff,

Many of you know Ms. Chikako Mochizuki, a PhD candidate in history, and her
dog Comet who as a guide dog assists Chikako in many ways and has been her
constant companion since she entered our program.  I am writing to ask your
assistance with Comet's medical treatment.

Comet has been diagnosed with a malignant tumor called a thymoma, the size
of an orange located between her heart and throat.  Without treatment, Comet
has less than six months to live.  Fortunately, this tumor can be removed,
but the cost of treatment is considerable, with estimates for surgery and
treatment around $6000 at the Kansas State University Veterinary Clinic,
which offers a reduced rate in these cases.

Chikako cannot afford this treatment herself.  She is seeking external
funding, appealing to national organizations and locally.

I am writing to ask if you would consider a donation for Comet's medical
treatment.  Chikako will be opening a dedicated bank account for this
purpose soon, but in the meantime Sandee Kennedy in the History Department
will collect donations in cash and in checks made out to Chikako Mochizuki.

Chikako is completing her dissertation in Japanese history and hopes to
defend it this summer.  We all hope that Comet will continue to be her
companion for many years to come.

I appreciate your consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

Eric Rath

Eric C. Rath
Associate Professor