[Home-on-the-range] Service Dog Needs Help of Its Own

Susan Tabor souljourner at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 11 01:59:17 UTC 2011

>From today's Lawrence Journal-World about our Chikako and Comet. Thought it
would be of interest.-Susan

LJWorld.com

Service dog needs some help of its own

Seeing-eye guide requires surgery to remove tumor, save life

April 9, 2011

 <http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2011/apr/09/211791/> Description: Chikako
Mochizuki and her seeing eye dog, Comet, on a trip to New Mexico in 2009.
Last week Comet was diagnosed with a tumor that will require a $6,000
surgery.

Chikako Mochizuki and her seeing eye dog, Comet, on a trip to New Mexico in
2009. Last week Comet was diagnosed with a tumor that will require a $6,000
surgery.

On the street

How much would you be willing to pay for surgery for your
<http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/apr/09/how-much-would-you-be-willi
ng-pay-surgery-your-pet/>  pet?

<http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/apr/09/how-much-would-you-be-willi
ng-pay-surgery-your-pet/> Description:
http://media.lawrence.com/img/manonthestreet/2011/04/09/mos_skillman_t160.jp
g?773850a9d7421baff2f792d5b4bd28ce20373d52

Whatever it took.

- Matt Skillman

More responses
<http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/apr/09/how-much-would-you-be-willi
ng-pay-surgery-your-pet/>

Even with a malignant tumor, Chikako Mochizuki's seeing eye dog, Comet,
keeps working, guiding her around as she has for nine years.

"She's a real trouper," said Mochizuki, a Kansas University doctoral student
in history who's from Japan.

Comet, a yellow Labrador retriever, was diagnosed with a tumor, called
thymoma, last week. Mochizuki is seeking donations for the $6,000 surgery to
remove the tumor, which is between Comet's throat and heart. Without
surgery, which would be performed at the Kansas State University Veterinary
Clinic, Comet could have less than six months to live.

Comet has been a constant companion for Mochizuki and the dog is well known
throughout the history department. Eric Rath, a professor of history,
recently sent out an email to the department asking for donations.

"We all hope that Comet will continue to be her companion for many years to
come," wrote Rath.

Mochizuki will defend her dissertation this summer, and she hopes to bring
Comet, who's been with her since she started at KU.

"I do hope Comet will be there," she said.

Donations can be made at Commerce Bank, where Mochizuki has opened a special
fund for Comet, or checks can be made out to Mochizuki and sent to Sandee
Kennedy at KU's history department, 3650 Wescoe Hall, 1445 Jayhawk Blvd.,
Lawrence, KS 66045. For further information, email Mochizuki at
mochizukichikako at ku.edu.

Originally published at:
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/apr/09/service-dog-needs-some-help-its-own
/