[Home-on-the-range] Saturday Wichita bus service retained

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Tue Aug 9 22:19:18 UTC 2011

Good news for everyone depending on the Saturday bus services in Wichita and the para-transit that had been threatened to be discontinued. Just a few months ago the city proposed to stop Saturday services due to budget shortfalls. Dispite the special public hearing being scheduled after bus services  end of day, a dozen or more of South-Central NFBK federationists showed up to tell how this proposal would prove to be a terrible hardship to those depending on this public service. Many others in the community showed up as well though scheduling this public hearing after transport hours ended - it appears the city was hoping no one would be able to get to or from the hearing. Though it was an expensive hardship for many, including us, as we had to pay for a van- it meant the difference between being able to afford to get around or having to be isolated... though the fare will likely go up, the city says, for now, bus services will continue on Saturdays. It seems to me that a city as large as Wichita would ensure that this vital service would not just continue but have hours increased. Hats off to all of you that made the time and effort to go to the hearing and ensuring your  voices were heard. Dianne