[Home-on-the-range] for info on jobs using Newsline

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Tue Dec 20 21:01:35 UTC 2011

Hi everyone - just thought I'd share a couple of articles that I listened to on Newsline pertaining to the job search.
Wichita Eagle- Sunday, Dec. 18
Upcoming job fair being held January 17th at the Wichita Meriott Corporate Hills
This company host one job fair per quarter: this upcoming one targets professionals; the spring and fall fairs target a general pool of potential employers; and, the summer focuses on diversity...
Besides having the advantage for both the potential employer and employee to see what jobs are out there, there is nothing like face-to-face...they will not forget you as you approach their booth using your white cane confidently (my own thought here): take your resue - in fact take several in order to ensure one better fits a particular employer: there are typically short training sessions focusing on: how to best present yourself, ideas on how to talk to employers about what you have to offer their company/organization, etc.

Said there were more than 60 booths last summer.
Find this article in the business section (#11, article 3).

The second good article comes from the November AARP - find in features - Hot Jobs 2011. This covers such helpful areas as how to build your social media and why you should do this: having reference letters available; how to make cold calls; the importance of joining professional organizations; the importance of involving yourself in all aspects of the work place; why you need to be a team player; the importance of volunteering; being wise about visiting  with co-workers ;

Hope this helps those of you on the job search. Best wishes, Dianne