[Home-on-the-range] I pledge to participate in the efforts of the NFB...

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Mon Nov 12 15:58:39 UTC 2012

Hello federationists! Hopefully you found this most recent NFB of Kansas  convention energizing and encouraging as well as informative. There were some of  our federation family unable to attend this year and who look forward to hearing from each and every one of you about your thoughts, impressions and take aways from this year's state convention.  It was exciting to observe those in attendance at their first convention as well as those of us in attendance for many decades.

As we step back and review what was meaningful to us personally, let us also begin to think in terms of our responsibility  to the organization. In our pledge, we claim that we  will actively participate in the efforts of the NFB... I challenge each of you to begin thinking about how you can now help someone else begin the positive journey within the NFB. Here are some ideas I heard our state leaders   talking about where you are needed:
1. Newsletter - this marvelous opportunity is open to someone or a team of people. Why not you?
2. Membership development - Our good fortune in finding the NFB was due to someone just like you who cared about giving hope to those who don't know who we are are why they might  begin a new positive life with blindness. So  who can you talk to? Here are few ideas:
blinded veterans
adults blinded due to diabetes, accidents or other life changing events
parents with blind children that they love and want the best life possible for
college students
blind people looking for employment
senior's

3. Communication- this is critical for those of us wanting to make sure we are up to date and informed with what's going on chapter wise, state affiliate wise and on the national scene. It is easier  than ever to share information. Please realize   that it is up to all of us to  contact others, send out a note on home on the range, etc
4. Learning by doing- it is very likely that your chapter president needs your help. Ask what you can do, or even better, ask if you can help raise funds for the chapter, present  a topic at the next or upcoming chapter meeting, call people who haven't attended a meeting for a while to see how they are; volunteer for one or more of the chapter's committees and then really follow through! We can all do something and when we offer work in some capacity we all make a difference in what it means to be blind - in the most positive way!

So, what are you waiting for? Let your chapter leaders and state affiliate leaders know you want to "actively participate".  I am so excited to hear what you are going to do to help our affiliate grow and get better and better. The National Federation of the Blind has made a difference  in your life...now let's make sure others have the same chance as we have had because  of this amazing organization. Dianne