[Home-on-the-range] how do we reverse trend of "learned helplessness"?

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Tue Jan 15 13:21:15 UTC 2013

Good morning federationists... This week's Matilda Ziegler (MZ) has a very thought provoking response  from Debby who writes in regarding   concerns  about her observations regarding blind college students on  her  California campus.  This is found in reader's forum,  first article (News line). Her concern about students falling into a pattern of always using door to door campus  transportation, use of readers and scribes, never learning how to do some routine scanning, or basic assistive technology skills   is a sad reminder of why even some  of   our brightest blind job seekers may not be hired. How do we (each of us) mindfully help change what a blind kid or a newly blinded adult or a person who has been blind for a long time with no positive training or role modeling  help turn this around. Do we (you and me) make an effort to go places independently?...participate in activities open to the general public?  and,or, talk to others about general subjects of interest rather than focusing on our own challenges? While working in Topeka, I had lots of opportunities  to witness the results of what I refer to as "learned helplessness" -. When a mind set plays out in a person's perception of  always needing assistance and asking for it sometimes loudly and sometimes in a demanding or perhaps a frantic  manner, it was clear that this individual had been convinced of their inability to do anything independently.  We need to be aware of our own impact as we move around the community and interact with the public...just going about our business in as independent manner as possible can help our image and that of other blind folks. Most people who are blind or who are going blind, will not have the opportunity to take advantage of proper training. That is why we as ambassadors of what's possible must be aware of our impact. How can we help those around our communities to know that there is a reality  of a "normal" life though  blind? I  think it would be helpful to hear from you, as federation members and our federation leaders , as well, of the organization, on how you currently go about "changing what it means to  be blind" and or what you resolve to do this new year to help us get the word out. Hope to hear from ALL of you on this important topic. Dianne