[Home-on-the-range] how do we reverse trend of "learned helplessness"?

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:37:08 UTC 2013

When I saw Dianne's thought-provoking questions/message, I happened to be reading Newsline on my phone. I had just read the January monitor article about digitized books. Even with less than the sighted, there is so much more available to us, so much that we need to be taking advantage of. I think we need to tell people what is available. I think it is fine to talk about our challenges, but we need to be willing to work with them and live into them in ways that show  us to be determined and and worthy of the help we need when we need it. It is heart to break in, and the way we have to do that is to keep swimming, keep doing things that make it happen for us. I remain in the choir at church though it is a lot of work because I really must memorize the pieces well. I am the only alto who sings the part right. The other alto has some mild dementia and, though she knows music, she is unable to get the notes right, so I have to carry the part. I need to find other ways in the church and the rest of the community to show that I am capable. I think, though, that it cannot become such a pressure that it is difficult to navigate. None of us has to be perfect, but we need to do all we can to learn to use what is available to us. I scanned all of my texts at seminary. Often I buy on iBooks books that we are studying at church or that I hear about so I can discuss them. We (I) need to be abreast of the news that is current and other things of interest to people with whom I spend time so that I can talk about them somewhat intelligently. In short, we need to show up.
CL