[Home-on-the-range] Can Peace Prevail Amongst Blind Organizations?

Timothy Hornik timothy.hornik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 15:16:42 UTC 2013

Happy Tuesday Everyone,

Last night I finally read over the latest Braille Monitor and ACB Braille Forum. The pieces that stuck out for me from the Braille Monitor involved the controversy with the Oklahoma "Vision Services" and Iowa's issues with potential fraudulent spending by the former Director. Both of these makes me reflect on the lack of services here within Kansas, and the numerous Federal audits that swept through our CIL's and SILCK.

The ACB Braille Forum article that captivated my attention in balls a letter similar to the title of this email. The brief summary is that they do not feel the various blind organizations will ever be able to provide a unified front as a whole, but maybe able to collaborate together on some issues. Maybe I am a little naïve, but I hope this is not true.

At the last SILCK Board Meeting, yes I am a board member, I commented on how I would love to see the date when all of the disability organizations placed a representative in the seats behind me. Only then might we be able to wield enough power to change the state's position on various issues. For example, Voc Rehab and employment centers are truly hit or miss when providing assistance for the visually impaired. However the Director feels they are more than capable. We seen this with the overwhelming support (sarcasm) VR showed in the planning leading up to the job fair in Lawrence. Likewise as a Veteran, the VA's own Voc Rehab services only desired to aid me so much based on limited power and the VA's own willingness to employ the visually impaired outside of blind rehab services, and this is without commenting on 508 compliancy issues faced by blind employees.

Here I sit, wondering whether the future will improve, and acknowledging that only will it improve with our own actions.

Like a tree growing from a mountain, progress is slow and steady. However, the strongest weather and whipping winds fail to uproot the tree.

Thank you for your assistance,
Timothy Hornik, LMSW
President
Kansas Regional Group