[Home-on-the-range] Can Peace Prevail Amongst Blind Organizations?

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Wed Jun 19 01:24:25 UTC 2013

Hello Timothy...it was a pleasure to hear your review of those articles that impacted you in the current journals for both ACB and NFB. Having both consumer organization's journals easily available via fingertips, will help us better understand the philosophy's and practical approaches used to forge our road ahead. Just as every interest group out there, has their own perspective, so do the blind. Progress is slow, as you noted, especially if you're in the middle of situations that appear to be  otherwise simple if the disability wasn't factored in...It is my perspective, and for those who subscribe to home on the range, that the NFB has been able to make the most sense and progress in "changing what it means to be blind" in the most positive way... I do not know if the blind can "work together"  but I'm willing to put my time and effort into the work that I fully support...and, thus the federation. The Independent Living Center philosophy has generally left the blind out of their "flat world" focus and I've never seen them really make any meaningful positive impact on behalf of the blind...I was once on the wichita ILRC board and had a lot of trouble following their philosophy, which was one that focused primarily on housing and that everyone should get the same thing - and that was determined by those who had the largest number of a disability group. I felt their time might be better spent on focusing on employment issues as once we are able to "get a job" we can have the home and the life that can come with it...thank-you for writing such an insightful and thoughtful note to us. I hope we'll hear more from you. Dianne