[Home-on-the-Range] Thank you NFB KS!

Ashley N crazy4chemistry at att.net
Sun Apr 24 18:09:05 UTC 2022

Hi all,
I wanted to 1st thank you all for all your help in the matters below as without you I wouldn't be able to say any of this.

Thank you to everyone who helped me through the Kansas VR system. My case is now officially closed with a pass and I have 2 paid National Science Foundation grants I'm working on including one for a multi line Braille display with tactile graphics capabilities another on helping students learn through making their own podcasts which will be a more inclusive learning experience.

Many of you helped me through my issues with University of Northern Colorado and I'm happy to announce I got accepted to start my PhD in science education at Oregon State this fall. Instead of seeing my blindness as a barrier they actually awarded me a prestigious diversity and inclusion scholarship that only one student gets per year. They are giving me a salary, a full ride scholarship, heath care coverage, and even a moving stipend! I have had 3 professors asking me to join their laboratories and it's so exciting to have differences celebrated rather than sneered at.

The NFB Linn-Benton chapter has already reached out to me and have been lifesavers in finding housing and introducing me to folks via zoom before my move.

I know this is long but I had to share a thank you to you all for leading me through the dark times of losing vision, VR, and school terror.

You all are the best and I am so happy to share the light at the end of the tunnel.

Couldn't have done it without your support,
Ashley Neybert