[Home-on-the-Range] Update on Kansas Senate bill 276

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 16 16:54:31 UTC 2022

Greetings Federation colleagues and cohorts,

Yesterday a proud group of enthusiastic Kansas Federationists came white canes tapping to the State House to testify before the House Children and Seniors Committee on our Blind parents rights bill. As we were about to enter the committee hearing room we were greeted by Senator Oletha Faust-Goudeau of Wichita who introduced herself and even had her picture taken with us. She said she would text me the photo which I have yet to receive.

The committee hearing, schedule to start at 1:30 PM, got started a few minutes late but was eventually convened by committee chairman susan Concannon. Those who came to testify in person were Tom Anderson, Susie Stanzel, Susan Tabor, and Robert Tabor. We were also joined by three members of the North-central chapter who were Sharon Luka, Shauna Zepeda, and Tom baskell. Our ever busy state president Tom Page was on the road but did testify via webcast. The committee also heard testimony from two individuals outside of the Federation including Mike Burgess, disability rights center of Kansas, and a representative from the SKIL independent living center which covers southeastern Kansas. The SKIL representative stated she supports SB 276 but asked for its protections to be expanded to include parents with all other disabilities. At this point such an amendment may or may not be forthcoming from the committee.

My sense of the hearing room was generally positive, although not quite as positive as in the Senate committee hearing. On the plus side, all who testified both Orly and in writing did an excellent job. Also, as with the Senate committee hearing, no one appeared to testify against our bill.

There are, however, two sources of concern. First, there is the possibility of a Committee or House chamber amendment which I referenced earlier. Should this occur, this would necessitate the appointment of a joint house senate conference committee which could be a potential stumbling block. Secondly, one of the committee members, namely, representative Paul Waggoner of Hutchinson, express a concern that the supportive parenting services called for in the bill might be fiscally costly to the state of Kansas.  Additionally, he intimated that the bill is not necessary because we should have adequate protection from existing state and federal law.  we only wish this were true. Otherwise, we would not have needed to draft a bill of this kind which 16 other states have already enacted. Rest assured we will do everything in our power to allay his fears and concerns.

The next step, logically, is for the committee to take action on the bill. There are 13 members of the committee. Hence, we need seven yes votes to get the bill out of committee and into the house chamber. We will keep you up-to-date as further developments warrants.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president/legislative Director national Federation of the blind of Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net