[humanser] the homeless blind

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 13 15:39:54 UTC 2008

Shalom David:

I worked with homeless peoples in New York City for many years during the
late 1980's and early 1990's, running programs to house homeless mentally
ill and/or substance addicted populations.  I did work with some deaf folks,
some wheelchair folks, and with a variety of disabled homeless folks;  but,
never a blind person.  Until your message the lack of blind homeless never
struck me.  Where were they?  I did know of many blind folks who rented a
room in someone's apartment, living off a SSI or SSD check;  however they
never seem to have made it to the homeless shelters.

Now you've done it, given me something new to wonder about!

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System