[humanser] New member saying hello

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 25 21:35:33 UTC 2009

Greetings:

Welcome to the list.

Your nation has such a history, making us in the USA seem as babies.  It
makes me wonder, knowing only the tiniest part of your history and nation
how the various ethnic elements come together to form a nation.  We in the
USA are a rich coming together of cultures, but mixed in a bowl without the
history that your nation has  (our native peoples having been suppressed
almost to non-existence).  Your role as a teacher of English, an outside
tongue, must bring this cultural mixture into a clear focus.  I imagine most
of your students speak Demonym or, perhaps, Albanian, or do most speak
multiple languages?

As a clinical social worker I especially seek to understand the cultural
diversity of the populations in my area.  We have such a mixture from former
African and Greek slaves who worked sugar plantations in this area to to
recent immigrants from Latin America and the Caribbean Islands.  These
various populations never felt an ownership of the land, never fought each
other for cultural or economic control over it.  Your students, I imagine
teenagers, are the people who will, eventually, bring your nation into NATO
and the Common Market, but most especially, form a fuller concept of the
nation-state.

As you can see I'm a big mouth with more ideas than knowledge.  I am a
Clinical Social Worker, blind, working in a mental health program for
children and adolescents.  This group has helped me to feel more a part of
the blind community and to receive help regarding the many ideas of living a
professional life among the sighted.

There are similar groups for blind teachers and I would encourage you to
join those groups as well.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System