[humanser] Deaf blind query.

Beth Koenig bethko at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 14:31:43 UTC 2009

Use print on palm and show him the one to one correspondences in
braille. Once he knows the alphabet he can use a tellatouch to
understand the other person. If he has problems will regular braille
then teach him off a braille notetaker. I am assuming he can talk.
If not then after learning braille he will need a braille note that
has the face to face option for the deaf-blind.
First thing is to get him to understand print. Have him hold his hand
over the one that is being used to make letters with. His other hand
should be flat but lose. You can then write one letter in block
letters at a time, one over the other. If this method is not usible
then we use backwards forehead writing. That is writing slowly one the
forhead in mirror letters. Right to left. This allows the person to
"see" the letters on their head.
Any questions, problems, or any thing else please call me.
714-414-7982 and give that number to the nurses as well.
Thank you,
Beth Koenig
bethko at gmail.com
Director of Deaf Blind Services
Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center
2960 Main Street A100
Irvine, CA 92614
http://www.deafadvocacy.org/dbs
Health, safety, and productivity are the cornerstones of independence.
At the Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center we provide the training and
services necessary for the deaf and disabled to achieve equality and
independence in all areas of life.