[humanser] Boo!

Cari Kness minniecat at tds.net
Sat Mar 14 22:05:46 UTC 2009

Hi JD and list,
<smile> paraskevidekatriaphobia is a new one for me. Can you expand
on that? Does it have to do with Friday the 13th?
Here's a question, especially for those who work with clients that
have mental illnesses.. Do you find that a lot of clients and or
coworkers believe in the superstition of Friday the 13th? Do you
yourself believe one way or the other? For me.. Friday the 13th is
just another day. The date 1 13th is just a date and the fact that it
falls on Friday doesn't mean anything more than if it fell on a
Wednesday or whatever. As of late, it bothers me that so many people
seem to subscribe to superstition of one form or another, especially
when they are sort of lead by it. I've heard it said that Friday the
13th is really nasty and others say it's lucky while those on the
really positive side say it's good.
      This is a topic worth thinking about because if I don't believe
in it but I'm working with a client who does, I have to respect the
client's beliefs and work with them around whatever they may feel
about the day. Do you think that if a client came to you and had a
really negative view about how their Friday the 13th day was going to
be, that we as workers can help to turn around the thinking if
possible without judging their belief, or is it better to leave that alone?
     I'm starting the application process to do my intern (the first
of 2,) next year. Can't believe I've been in the Human Service
program for almost 2 full years already. I like to think of these
kinds of things because being in the classroom is totally different
than in the field. Just my thoughts.
Peace,
Cari