[humanser] Boo!

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 14 23:39:38 UTC 2009

Exactly - it is the fear of Friday the 13th.

Your question is a good one.  I don't attempt to get into people's belief
systems directly, but I am always working on them indirectly, that is the
art of psychotherapy.  Superstition, irrational belief systems, racism,
fundamentalism - they will all come up in sessions.  I don't challenge their
belief systems, but I do comment on them, such as saying, "That must make
your life more difficult" or ""Are your beliefs supported by your friends
and family?"

Some very common irrational beliefs relate to blindness and clients will
introduce them at times:  our greatly improved hearing, our deep
spirituality (irritating for a non-believer), our inability to dress
ourselves, our total dependence on others, ETC.  Once again, I work on these
distortions as I would any other, indirectly with a focus on what part the
distortion plays in the client's person.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System