[humanser] Acknowledge or ignore?

Jeffrey Schwartz sidney.schwartz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 26 10:07:39 UTC 2009

I am a clinical psychologist and have worked at a large V A
 For about 35 years.  We have a large predoctoral internship,  hence I have
some experience with this situation from both sides.  First of all, mental
health professionals are almost universally liberal, affirmative action
types.  Their programs are overseen by associations like the APA which want
them to demonstrate cultural diversity in their training and selection of
trainees.  You couldn't have it better unless you are a person of color.
Sorry to sound jaded, but that's the deal.

It is pretty routine for applicants to send us a "personal" letter after
their interview complimenting us on the facility, training program and their
desire to participate in it.  You have an opportunity by such a letter to
comment on your blindness without making a big deal of it.  Say the other
stuff and throw in a couple of sentences at the end.  I would complement
them   on being so kind as to help you in an unfamiliar situation which by
virtue of its size an complexity would be a navigational challenge for
anyone at first.  Then I would complement the person who helped you on
either knowing, if he did, or becoming talented as a sighted guide so
effortlessly.  If he knew the technique, I'd praise him for that stating
that most people don't know how to help.  It has to be a kind of
afterthought.  You don't need to convince them that you could have gotten
around.  You are a professional, not a blind beggar with a tin cup and
pencils.  If you couldn't make the grade as a result of your lack of vision,
you wouldn't have been at the interview.----Original Message-----