[humanser] Acknowledge or ignore?

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 26 12:21:33 UTC 2009

Hi Mary and All:

Not silly, but a real concern and an excellent question.

The initial impression we make is essential in our employment efforts.
Should that impression show us as fearlessly independent we will not be seen
as a team member.  Should we show ineptness by bumping into a chair or
taking a turn into a blind alley we will be seen as inept.  Should we take
the arm and use the opportunity to form a relationship, I think so.  Having
a dog guide use the follow command or following an individual or group by
ear using a white cane would not give you access to staff or allow you to be
a full part of the group.

Kenneth Jernnigan had excellent white cane skills, but preferred the elbow
as it offered him the freedom to use the walk time more productively.  Some
blind people felt that he was not living up to NFB ideals in doing so, but
he got where he was going and got his business done as well.

I understand the desire to make the impression of oneself as competent and
able, but we are blind (even those with a little bit of sight) and it isn't
something to hide or apologize for;  taking advantage of the offered elbow
accepts the disability but doesn't make one look incompetent.  Often in
groups I choose to follow different elbows at different times, allowing me
to get to know different people better, especially those more retiring
folks.  Most people like the company and the opportunity to try the blind
guide experience.  The issue of ability and competency comes from our words
and attitudes, not from how we travel

Best of luck in getting this externship.  It sounds like an excellent
opportunity.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System