[humanser] Acknowledge or ignore?

Cari Kness minniecat at tds.net
Fri Mar 27 13:10:29 UTC 2009

Mary and list,
As I read this thread, I am reminded of the speech by Dr Jernagan
"Nature of Independence" It's been a while since I've read the entire
speech but I remember that his point is that whatever works best is
ok. Taking an arm in a new or group situation doesn't make you any
less independent. It sounds like you enjoyed the tour and got a lot
out of it because you did take an arm. If you had gone by yourself
you may not have had the same experience because you would be having
to pay attention to keeping up and all that other stuff.
      In my opinion I don't think there is a need to make any issue
or write any letters about taking an arm. In that situation you did
what made you most comfortable and sounds like you had a good time
and made a good impression which is what you want. You cannot control
what others think. I think that the letter of thanks you sent is
correct. No need to write anything about taking his arm because for
you it felt like the right and natural thing to do in that situation.
If you get the intern and find yourself there again, you will figure
out what feels best for you. When you get the chance, look up
Jernagan's speech on the nfb site. I think I have it in braille and
will read it myself soon. I wish you success.
Peace,
Cari