[humanser] NEW THOUGHT PROVOKER #145- Looking Blind

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Tue May 5 16:13:12 UTC 2009

Carmella, Yes, the professor was totally off base with his request to
identify people who were handicapped by a show of hands.  However, for other
individuals did it ever occur to you that many have never confronted a blind
person?  Before I became legally blind I never knew anyone who was blind.  I
have enough manners to know not to stare or act like a jerk when dealing
with a different situation, but there are those who haven't a clue.  Believe
it or not there are those out there who never dealt with a person of a
different race, religion or ethnicity.  If they meet someone of a different
group they resort to the negative reactions they may have come across
through the behaviors of others.  Wheal chair bound, hearing impaired or
blind, they're all conditions that have enough negative jokes surrounding
them that it is no wonder there are so many insulting reactions to a person
in this situation.
I'm one of those who doesn't look blind.  When New York State came out with
the absurd guideline that people like me should be called "visually
impaired" as opposed to "legally blind" I commented to my husband, "That is
so nice of them!  How come I don't see any better?"  Ignorance is a human
condition that the perpetually ignorant don't want to shake.  There is
enough ignorance to go around that people who are not in the minority just
have to do the best they can in whatever they choose to do and not resort to
defensive behavior when dealing with the ignorant.  I don't have the time to
educate them or placate their objectionable behavior.  I'm proud of me and
don't make excuses for anything that puts me in the minority.  Judith