[humanser] Mental Status Exam

Vicky Winslow vicky at well.com
Fri Sep 18 19:50:27 UTC 2009

I always used what I could. For example, one of the observations is about how neat or unkempt someone is or are they wearing
inappropriate clothes. Personally, I found that I could hear and smell things that led to the same conclusions. You can hear if
somebody is wearing a parka in summer, and, well, I'll leave the smell part to your imagination. You can hear people who shift
around a lot or don't at all.
If you have a receptionist (which we didn't) you can get some visual information from them. You have to adapt it to your own
abilities and strengths, as do all clinicians. Personally, my observations and scoring perfectly matched those of my colleagues.
It's the information you want, the MSE is merely a guide for how to obtain it.

Vicky Winslow, LMSW