[humanser] Informational interviews for a client

MARY CHAPPELL MTC5 at COX.NET
Wed Jul 13 02:01:48 UTC 2011

Amy,
While I am not yet officially a psychologist, in the last weeks of my
internship in doctoral program in clinical psychology, I have had
substantial exposure to the range of assessment instruments (cognitive,
objective and projective personality, self report, etc.) and have completed
a six month rotation at the Superior Court of the District of Columbia
conducting intensive assessment and writing thorough reports to inform
attorneys, judges, social workers, educational advisors, and parole
officers. I have, throughout this year-long internship, have completed
assessment reports for university students struggling with ADHD, affective
and  anxiety disorders, psychotic and dissociative disorders psychosocial,
psychosexual, psychoeducational, and simply psychological diagnostic needs.
I work on an inpatient psychiatric unit and have assessed older adults with
dementia and other neuropsychological difficulties. I am still developing my
aptitude in assessment and, as with everything else, I expect and want to
continue developing the rest of my life.

I sometimes am unable to validly and reliably administer certain instruments
and in those instances I use a psychometrician to administer--e.g.,
Rorschach Inkblot or block design on the WIS-IV or WAIS-IV. I have worked
with a range of assessment instruments and have found my professors,
supervisors, and colleagues have, for the most part, been supportive and
helpful. Admittedly, there are some instruments that are, virtually, un
administrable, and when that occurs, I often make a deal with a colleague.
My interpretive and assessment report writing skills are, after all of this,
quite strong., Truth be told, psychotherapy is where my heart is but, the
psychodiagnostic awareness and understanding significantly informs and
substantiates every intervention and all of my work with clients and
patients. Ultimately, I am better prepared to serve and collaborate with
whomever I may work.

I welcome any questions you might have.