[humanser] Employment

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 15 01:30:39 UTC 2011

Hi Sue-Ellen:

I was once were you are now, tired and discouraged.  I was in the NJ/NYC
area and went on a huge number of interviews after hand typing, this was
1980, what seemed like thousands of letters of application.  Eventually I
listened to the words of Dr. Kenneth Jernigan and that changed everything
for me.  Writing a letter and going to an interview with a positive attitude
about myself and the benefits of hiring me made a great difference, I got
three job offers in the next month.

The Driver License issue is, often now, a citizenship verification and a
formal ID card.  It does not necessisarily mean that you would be required
to drive.

My first social work position was in Brooklyn, NY, and there a driver's
license was not any big help as the buses and subways tend to move faster
than personal cars.  I traveled throughout Brooklyn, visiting families in
their homes in efforts to help families keep their children out of foster
care.  It was wonderful experience.

I currently work in a child & adolescent behavioral program and I imagine
that there are similar sites near you.  This is a horrible time for school
counselors here in FL, and I imagine elsewhere, so spread out your search.
Often group homes and residential treatment centers (RTF) for children have
positions that might interest you.  Likewise the foster care system and
associated private, local  and state agencies might be of interest.  The VA
has openings that might be interesting as well, making use of your skills;
best to search under social work for these - there is a daily email listing
of VA positions that I receive each day listing many in the Baltimore area.

Hold in there and get employed.  After over 9 months searching I found my
first job and have had little time between jobs in the following 31 years.

Best of luck.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System