[humanser] Ellen DeGeneres' Ignorance

spclarke rainbows719 at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 22:22:41 UTC 2011

I am sorry but you misunderstood.  It was not a skit at all.  The woman who had used the binoculars the previous day was not part of the show.  It was literally Ellen making fun of the woman who had used the binoculars to watch the Dancing with the Stars dancers.  It was like what bullies do on the playground.  My only conclusion is that Ellen is ignorant about visually impaired people using binoculars to see better.  I have been a fan of hers for many years and was disappointed that she would choose to single someone out like that and make fun of them.  It's not like when she shows audience members dancing.  Singling one person out because they are doing something different than everyone else is wrong.  I didn't find any of it funny because I knew that it was most likely that the woman was using the binoculars to see better because dancing is a visual activity.  I think it is an example of the type of barriers that we need to break through.  Someone shouldn't be so quick to pick on someone like that.  That's what bullies do.  If someone talks differently, looks different, or behaves differently, they become an automatic target if a bully zeroes in on them.  I truly think that Ellen needs to be responsible for what she says and does.

Sue-Ellen Clarke