[humanser] Ellen DeGeneres' Ignorance

brlboss at aol.com brlboss at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 14:38:05 UTC 2011

I've been watching this discussion, and I just have to ask.  Do we have
any proof that the woman using the binoculars was visually impaired?
Sighted people, if seated far back at a live performance, have been
known to use binoculars too.  Also, I honestly don't think that Ellen
was in any way insulting the blind community.  It's not like she (based
on what I've heard) got up on stage and said "look at that blind woman
using binoculars!  Isn't that funny?"  If she had, I would agree that
it was wrong, but she was making fun, it sounds, more of the binoculars
than the person using them.

Also, it was a joke.  Ellen is a comedian.  She pokes fun at everyone,
and, apparently, up until now, that was completely acceptable.  It
appears, the moment a visually impairment even becomes implied it turns
into some awful thing.  I'm not saying that visually impaired people
should sit back while being made fun of, far from it.  What I am
suggesting is that we should be sure of the situation before making the
issue public.  Let's say that the woman using the binoculars wasn't
visually impaired or, perhaps, she was but didn't care about the joke.
What if she even found it funny.  I'm the kind of person who laughs
because, unless someone honest to truth maliciously insults me, it's
not worth the effort to get angry.  So, no one in the studio audience
cared about the binoculars.  Posting on a public forum (facebook)
without all the facts then only looks like someone is lashing out for
the sake of lashing out.

Mary