[humanser] preparing for grad school

Kathy McGillivray kjm at usfamily.net
Sun Sep 25 02:53:25 UTC 2011

I suggest talking with counselors you know and finding out what their
experience was like in their programs. That's how I chose my graduate
program in counseling psychology. I had several years of experience as a
minister before going to grad school in counseling psych. I agree with the
others that getting volunteer and/or paid experience can be helpful prior to
grad school. On the other hand, my push for grad school was that my state
rehab counselor knew I wanted to get a Master's and basically said, "If you
want us to pay for it, you should do it now because otherwise we need to
close your case." This was because I was working. He had a point and I was
fortunate to have someone who knew my goals and cared enough to help me
reach them.

Hope it goes well for you.

Kathy McGillivray