[humanser] preparing for grad school

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 24 16:29:41 UTC 2011

Hi Sarah:

Apply to the schools that best meets your needs for an education.
Personally I like the universities in urban areas because they have better
libraries, transportation and more apartments.

Have you decided which type of counseling program you wish?  Social work
offers many options, mental health counseling offers a clear, but narrow
field, and marriage and family offers a slightly different framework.  Each
one of these provides a state license to do psychiatric counseling.  This
decision will end up being meaningful in your future.

As for experience, volunteering is the prime option, but it pays poorly.  I
worked on a telephone hot line for a couple of years.  My wife, also a
clinical social worker, supported her social work havit waiting tables for
years.  Any job that puts you in front of people works.  Some other folks I
know have worked in rape crisis centers, with a head start program, or
answered the telephones for a blind services office.

Best of luck.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System