[humanser] prelicensed social work jobs

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 14 04:54:38 UTC 2012

Hello:

Welcome to the list.  We have an intersting group of professionals and
students here, but we don't use this list overly much, so I'm especially
glad for your introduction and questions.

I'm a social worker with over 30 years in the field.  I currently work in
mental health as a psychotherapist in a hospital based practice and in
private practice.  I also supervise both student interns and master-level
employees for licensure.  In Florida and in most US states registered
interns or pre-licensed individuals work in agencies such as community
mental health centers (CMHC).  Agencies like to hire new folks as they are
cheaper and are more easily brought into the assembly line that most such
agencies have become;  however, it is great experience.  If psychotherapy is
your goal, I would strongly suggest looking towards these positions.

My first full-time social work position was in preventive services.  I
worked with families who were at risk of having their children placed into
foster care.  Half my visits were with families in the office, the other
half were at their homes.  This was in Brooklyn, New York, and I traveled by
bus and subway all over the county.  In a city with good public
transportation this is possible if you have good mobility skills.I don't
know how transportation is in the Bay Area, but I bet it isn't as good as in
New York City.

I suggest that you apply for everything that sounds at all interesting.  In
my career I have worked in nursing homes and clinics, with children and
seniors, with chronic mental illness, substance abuse, and with the
homeless.  It is all good.

Best of luck.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.