[humanser] Fwd: referral/advice

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 16 16:46:54 UTC 2012

 Hi David & List,

I wonder if this support group is blindness related, imagine so as it has a
NFB philosophy.  This chapter president is smart to seek a psychotherapist
who has the same perspective.

It reminds me of a presentation I made at a NJ NFB convention a very long
time ago.  When I mentioned that I  at experienced a "narcisistic injury"
when I began to see myself as blind a woman in the audience took exception
to my statement.  While I continue to see vision loss as a major loss, I can
now see how it need not be a continuing narcisistic injury.  Interestingly
it was at this convention that I heard the story of a Catholic school
teacher who had to fight to obtain employment, but had, four years later,
become the teacher of the year.

As a psychotherapist I have had several newly blind patients and for some
their blindness has been a short-term adjustment disorder, while for others
it has been tragic.  Sometimes patients who have been blind from birth or
for a long time seem to have more blindness-related issues.

I had a psychotherapist while in graduate school who told me that my
identified issues should also include my blindness, I didn't see him for
very long.  My current psychotherapist addresses it only if I bring up an
issue related to blindness, I've kept her for 30 years.

I guess that I believe that psychotherapy can make every life better and
that everyone has unique issues.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System