[humanser] Drivers license requirement for employment

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 22 00:54:15 UTC 2013

Disclosing is a matter of choice, however the examples you give are not ones
that would usually be identified in an interview or on an application.  To
disclose most often involves revealing a flaw or defect,  much more rarely
we would disclose a virtue.  Should we disclose that we are a transexual
that might influence an employer, as wrong as that might be.  Likewise our
blindness, I feel it better to address an interview as a fully competant
psychotherapist rather as a blind psychotherapist.  Given the time to
reflect prior to a job interview the agency may very easily identify their
reasons for not hiring a blind psychotherapist, perhaps granting an
interview and feeling noble in the effort towards fairness.  I've
interviewed with these folks, they are gracious, but are mine-set against
hiring a blind person.  Blindness does not define me any more than my sexual
preference, however many interviewers would not hire an openly lesbian
applicant ... so most don't tell.  Whenever I put my blindness ahead of my
abilities I got warm interviewers who did not hire me.  Once I walked in as
a gifted clinician I rarely failed to obtain employment.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System