[humanser] tools to do the job

Sandy sandraburgess at msn.com
Tue Dec 31 00:15:11 UTC 2013

Ericka,

Though the two hand reading is the way they teach Braille reading, the
certified teacher of blind/vision impaired told me she's seen maybe 12 ways
to read Braille.  We had a student teacher and the National NFB supplied us
with a woman from Maryland who was certified.  She had helped with several
BELL programs in different states.

Are you thinking of corresponding via Braille with slate and stylus?  I'll
do that if you want to do it.  Actually, I have not written much that way
now I have the computer, and I sometimes record notes to myself on Victor
Reader Stream.  If I'm remembering well, I think NFB has a booklet to
instruct writing with a slate and stylus.  When I got my Bachelor's, I did
write many class notes with that old, non-tech method.  I learned how to use
double pages in notebooks rather than to buy Braille paper.  My writing
speed was pretty good then.

  My mom used to transcribe some of my school books using a board slate and
stylus and sending me to school with just pages I needed.  She attempted to
get certified as a professional transcriber, but couldn't do fifty perfect
pages.

Sandy