[humanser] What is Life Coaching?

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Wed Jul 10 14:11:39 UTC 2013

Dear All,
	I consider myself a Life Coach, so I will offer my perspective on
this topic. As I see it, the difference between a Life Coach and a
counselor, no matter which degree or license qualifies one for that
protected title, is that a Life Coach deals with current issues and
challenges while a counselor is qualified to deal with past issues, as well
as current ones. In addition, counselors are able to employ a wider array of
modalities considered to be therapeutic while a Life Coach can only utilize
techniques that are behavioral in nature. By "protected title", I mean that
most states regulate the counseling profession and only those duly licensed
may call themselves a "counselor".
	The work of a Life Coach is to assist others in achieving their
current goals, such as improving personal performance, seeking new
employment, or in some other way enhancing their life and health. For
instance, as a Life Coach, I combine my training in behavior modification
and hypnosis to help people quit smoking, achieve their ideal weight, manage
stress, reduce fear or anxiety, and enhance personal or athletic
performance. I work with the issue as it currently presents itself and my
work is not considered therapy.
	Though there are life coaching certifications available, such
certifications are generally not required, as most states do not regulate
the profession. I do not have any certifications, as my Master of Science
degree in Mental Health Counseling far exceeds any courses that offer
certification in life coaching.
	Though I enjoy the work I do as a Life Coach and hypnotist, I have
the education to become licensed as a Mental Health Counselor and am
pursuing this path. Such a thing will allow me to expand the work I do by
treating those with whom I cannot as a Life Coach.
	I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please feel free to

Marion.Gwizdala at verizon.net

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, M.S., C.Ht.