[humanser] some may find this of interest

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sat May 18 19:46:02 UTC 2013

I'm not a social worker, just an interested soul... but here's my
input, just because I'm curious about this one:

Choice A, find a position where sign language is known, sounds
evasive and limiting, so I'd rule that out.

Choice B, verify the client can do the job, sounds more like the
job of the manager, unless the social worker plans to take on the
role of advocate, in which case this knowledge could be helpful.

Choice C, contact an attorney, presumes more of a problem than I
think yet exists, so I agree that this should at most be a secondary
option.

But choice D, inform the manager of the client's rights, also seems
troublesome in that it could cause the manager to react with more
fear than cooperation or good will.

I would consider D and then C reasonable if the manager's remarks were
clearly discriminatory. As the question is worded though, they could
be concerned or even in the thinking-out-loud category.

So I would be left with B in this case, because advocacy seems the
most supportive while unconfrontational role..