[humanser] Accessible Technology Delay in Internship and Emplyment

Ericka J. Short ericka.short at att.net
Tue Oct 8 04:48:26 UTC 2013

I know the exact frustration!  Most internships have not been too willing to
adapt even if it didn't cost them anything.  The Salvation Army was
wonderful to me this past spring.  They were willing to download the free
version of Zoomtext so I could do my work.  They also tried to make the
computer usable for me before it was downloaded.  I was extremely lucky to
have supportive staff there.  Have you spoken to the IT department yourself?
Did you explain your situation?  Sometimes I don't think they realize we are
there for only a short time and are there to learn, not take up space.  When
I was an activity assistant at a nursing home (this was before computerized
paperwork systems) I had trouble getting the staff to allow my paperwork to
be copied a little larger so I could do  charting.  We had no space for a
cctv in the office.  I had to pull in my state division of  voc. rehab
counselor to get something done.  I hope you do not have to go this far, but
perhaps a meeting with you, your faculty advisor and supervisor can make
things move faster.

Keep us posted on how things go.  I am sure many of us can relate!

Ericka