[humanser] INTERVIEWING

Ericka J. Short ericka.short at att.net
Sun Oct 20 00:50:41 UTC 2013

Our local job center has a "mock interview" class to help people gain
confidence in the interview.  I attended one yesterday and when the  lady
asked me what has been one of my greatest accomplishments I said accepting
my blindness and gaining the tools to compete in the community.  The
interviewer used to be a VR type counselor and assisted people with many
different disabilities hired including several blind.  I did not know this
until later.  She said I answered the question beautifully and showed that
my disability is not the largest part of me.  In WI it is illegal to ask
many of the questions I have seen asked of people here.  This lady said if I
am in an interview situation where they ask me irrelevant disability
questions to take notes and later report them to the nearest ADA center.
They are only to ask you if you have experience doing the tasks, not how.
She gave us a list of illegal questions, questions that are most frequently
asked and those you should ask at the end of the interview.  It was very
useful!  It made getting up early and  trekking over there wearing a dress
in 37 degree weather worth it.  An attendee who is looking for a nursing
home  administrator job said she'd hire me.  That made me feel pretty good!

Ericka Short